Sunday, May 27, 2012

35th Annual Ridge Run 10K

2012 RidgeRun
It’s been a fun and busy year.  So far this year I have run over 650 miles.  Some of those miles have been in different states but most of them have been in areas close to home such as the Country Lane Yellow Trail in the Cook County Forest Preserve, Swallow Cliffs and throughout some of the neighborhoods of Chicago’s southside.  Some of those miles have been in races but the majority of them have been part of my regular running schedule.  There are some races that are on my list of favorites, the Annual Ridge Run 10K is one of them.  This year will be the 35th Annual Ridge Run, which is on Memorial Day.  This will be my 4th Ridge Run 10K.  I am looking forward to the race.  The first time I ran this course, Memorial Day fell on my birthday and my son had returned home safe from the US Marines and I remember wearing my Proud Marine Dad shirt.

The first time I ran the Ridge Run 10K, is a memory I will never forget.  I did not know what to expect.  Most of my running had been me listening to the sounds of my feet hitting the ground and thinking about life in general.  When I ran the Annual Ridge Run 10K, the Beverly Community was right there with me.  They displayed an overwhelming amount of patriotism and support for the runners as we ran through their beautiful community.  That feeling has stayed with me and has made the Annual Ridge Run one of my favorites.
Ridgerun
Andy and I at the 2011 RidgeRun

This year the Annual Ridge Run 10K falls again on my birthday.  A day that reminds me of the many blessings I have been given including good health.   But this year when I run the 35th Annual Ridge Run 10K it will be different.  I am dedicating this year’s running of the Chicago Marathon, 2012Run12 and many of the other races, to raise awareness for Neurofibromatosis a genetic disorder that affects over 2 million people.  I am running to honor a former student John, who is 22 years old and has had the disorder since birth.  Neurofibromatosis Midwest needs our help to continue to offer support to those who struggle with Neurofibromatosis on a daily basis.  They do not have a big name spokesperson or a big budget.

If we were to be running and see another runner fall, we would stop and offer assistance.  This is our opportunity to offer assistance to those with Neurofibromatosis.

Click here to help support NF Midwest http:


Thank you for your support and Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment