Friday, June 1, 2012

Minneapolis Half Marathon in the Land of 10,000 Lakes

We’re headed to Minneapolis for the Minneapolis Half Marathon.  This will be our sixth state and my sixth half marathon in my 2012Run12.  I think I am going to surprise my wife and take her to the Mall of America.  She has been supportive through my many miles of running and so far this year I’ve run almost 700 miles.

Each place we visit has its own fascinating history and Minneapolis is no exception.  Minnesota is known as the Land of 10,000 Lakes and its name comes from the Dakota word meaning sky-tinted water.  We’ll take in some of the great sites before and after the Minneapolis Half Marathon.  We’re also looking forward to the Minneapolis Half Marathon Post Race Party at the Bohemian Flats Park which is along the Mississippi River.  There will be live music from The Brute Squad and a free beer.  Bohemian Flats is near the Washington Bridge that had collapsed on August 1, 2007 and has since been rebuilt.

I am looking forward to running the Minneapolis Half Marathon.  As a runner, there are always challenges with a new course in not knowing what to expect but there is excitement because the scenery is new and running the course always gives you a different perspective of the area and the communities within them.  Each time I run though, I am reminded of those who can’t run and can’t feel the rewards of crossing the finish line and receiving a medal.  I have set a goal of running 12 half marathons in 12 states in 2012 for those individuals you are struggling with NeurofibromatosisNeurofibromatosis affects over 2 million people so as I run the Minneapolis Half Marathon I will be thinking of them.  My goal is to raise awareness and money for NF Midwest who offers support to families struggling with Neurofibromatosis.  If you would like to make a donation and support my efforts, please visit http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/michaelblaha/nf-midwest-run4nf.  Every donation big or small will help someone struggling with Neurofibromatosis.

My wife is looking forward to the Minneapolis Half Marathon because she selected a hotel that is practically at the starting line of the race.  She says I can roll out of bed to the starting line.  Not knowing what to except of the new area, with roads closed and parking, we usually leave our hotel before the sun comes up but this time will be different.  So as we head off to the Land of 10,000 Lakes, we begin another journey in my 2012Run12.

When I return home from the Minneapolis Half Marathon, my Chicago Marathon training will officially begin and so another chapter will begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment