Sunday, October 23, 2011

Country Lane

Ran:    4.89 miles
Time:  45:19 (hh:mm:ss)
Pace:  9:16 minutes/mile
Temperature:  52°

John and I at Country Lane, Our first run after the marathon. Still a little sore but nice to get some cool temps for an early morning run.

During my recovery time I thought what a better time to recap the key factors that helped me complete my first MARATHON! So the following is my review of Hal Higdon's book and training program that was instrumental in the successful completion of my first marathon.

Book: Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide
Author: Hal Higdon
Publisher: Rodale Press; 3 edition (September 30, 2005)

I bought Marathon, The Ultimate Training Guide and read it cover to cover when preparing to run my first marathon, the 2011 Bank of America Chicago Marathon. I am not a big reader(of books) so for me to read any book is rare. But Hal's book is a great read and provides invaluable information about running a marathon, including the history of a marathon, both pre and post training, as well as interesting and motivating anecdotes.

Using the book as a reference along with Hal's 18 week training guide from his website(I used the intermediate II training program), not only did I run and finish my first marathon, I was able to complete it without walking, in a time of 4hr 2min!

I can't imagine running my first marathon without Hal's book or training programs. I will be re-reading the book and following Hal's training program in preparation for my second marathon, the 2012 Bank of America Chicago Marathon.

Hal Higdon's website: http://www.halhigdon.com/
Hal's Marathon Training programs: Marathon Training Programs
Note: The 4th edition was available Sep 27, 2011.

Click for Garmin Connect - Details

No comments:

Post a Comment