Thursday, April 26, 2012

Minneapolis Half Marathon – 2012Run12

The month of June will bring us to Minnesota for the Minneapolis Half Marathon.  This will be my 6th half marathon this year.  So far, in my campaign 2012Run12 I've run in some pretty cool places and races.  In January we were in Dallas, TX for The Texas Half Marathon, February in Apache Junction, AZ for The Lost Dutchman Half Marathon, March in Innsbrook, MO for the Adventuremax Trail Half Marathon, and April in Carmel, IN for the Carmel Half Marathon.  It’s amazing to see the differences in the runs and yet the similarities.  To be a runner is a rewarding experience.  After a race, you stand amid other runners and look around knowing, that our race experiences all differ.  Some may have just set a new PR, or overcome obstacles to the point they thought they would never be able to complete a half marathon.  No matter which way you look at it the after race is always a celebration.

As I stand at the starting line, so many things are going through my mind, but lately, I’ve realized that running can be so much more than crossing the finish line.  I’ve been running for over 20 years, and often times, while I am running I think of the challenges ahead, the big hill, the narrow trail with the tree roots sticking up, the mud, the puddles and yet when I am done, they seemed difficult, but what would I do if I wasn’t able to run.  If I wasn’t able to do something I enjoy so greatly.  It is for that reason that I am running the Minneapolis Half Marathon to raise awareness for Neurofibromatosis, which is a genetic disorder that affects over 2 million people.  Neurofibromatosis is a progressive disorder that causes tumors to grow on nerves anywhere in the body.  Neurofibromatosis does not have a high profile spokesperson or a big budget, but it affects someone I know, a former student of mine who is now 22 years old.  He has had Neurofibromatosis since birth, and he has such strength and determination that I find him inspiring.  He has a tumor on his spine that causes him pain on a daily basis.
The Minneapolis Half Marathon is more than just another race in another state.  It’s my opportunity to turn something I enjoy into something that can benefit others.  For whatever reason you are running the Minneapolis Half Marathon, Marathon or Relay, best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment